 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2974
Re: C Compiler for Windows 98
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 19:30:43 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Richard Gildersleeve writes:
I have been using NQC for some time now and would like to move up to C++
programing with LegOS or BrickOS.  I have spent many hours following the
instructions on http://brickos.sourceforge.net/docs/INSTALL-cygwin.html
without success in getting a working system.

It is much simpler to download the pre-built Hitachi H8 tools than it is to
try and build the cross-compiler under cygwin.

http://semiconductor.hitachi.com/tools/2000r1_i686-cygwin32-x-h8300-hms.zip

Extract them under your cygwin directory.

Extract the brickOS release under cygwin.  Run ./configure from the BASH
shell prompt in the brickOS root directory.  Edit Makefile.Common so that
CFLAGS+=-O2 -Wall instead of CFLAGS=-O2 -Wall (in the ifdef
BUILDING_HOST_UTILS  section).  Now a make should work fine.

My problem now is that I don't seem to have a Complier to compile my C++
programs.  I write a program and save it as myProgram.c then when I run
"make myProgram.lx" I get a myProgram.o file but no .lx file.

You need to run make at the brickOS root before you can build your programs.
I don't know if that is your problem or not.  You need to have a makefile in
the same directory as your source code.  It isn't clear from your
description if you are putting your source code in the demos directory under
brickOS or somewhere else.

If you are using cygwin and you can do a successful make with brickOS then
the simplest way to edit, compile, and download your brickOS programs is to
use BricxCC.

John Hansen