 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2928
Re: versions of gcc/binutils/newlib
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sat, 2 Nov 2002 02:11:51 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Gerhard Pfeiffer writes:

Which versions of gcc/binutils and newlib is brickos developed with?
As I read in here and tested myself, it doesn't work with the most recent
versions (gcc 3.2, binutils 2.13 and newlib 1.10).
Do I need a newlib? The howto doesn't mention it, but I didn't get a working
gcc-compile without it. (and the cross-gcc-faq says, it should be used when
makeing a cross-compiler).

   GCC 2.95 versions and binutils 2.95 thru 2.10 appear to work.
   I believe readers, here, have also successfully used gcc 3.0 and 3.1 but
   not 3.2.  The brickOS plan is to release brickOS-1.0.0 first. Then
   we will work on adapting the code to work with gcc 3.2 and the latest
   binutils The 1.1.0 release will be focused on this work.

   re: newlib.  If you are making a full cross compiler to build applications
   for a system other than the one on which the compiler is running then
   you need newlib.  brickOS (and legOS) provide the pieces which newlib
   provides so it is not needed in this case.  I believe the gcc/binutils
   builds are tied tightly enough to newlib that there are failures when
   it is not present but these failures can be ignored.  The resulting
   cross compilation tool chain works despite them.

Regards,
Stephen - (i maintain the h8/300 gcc/binutils packages for Debian GNU/Linux)