 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2907
Re: Starting Over
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sat, 12 Oct 2002 01:58:34 GMT

     According to John Hansens' instructions, I am assuming you do not need
to download the bin-utils as called out in the original sourceforge
instructions. Is this correct? Thanks again for the help. Here goes.

The BrickOS for cygwin instructions
(http://brickos.sourceforge.net/docs/INSTALL-cygwin.html) describe
downloading the source code for gcc & binutils and building the Hitachi
cross-compiler and associated tools in step 2.  If you use the pre-built
hitachi tools that Joseph Wooley posted about a while ago (I don't have the
link handy but it is in an e-mail I sent you) then there is no need
whatsoever to perform step 2 of the installation instructions.

Instead of doing step 2 as written you simply download the pre-built Hitachi
tools and extract the ZIP file into your cygwin directory.

You can use WinZip to extract a .tar.gz file to complete step 3.

http://twtelecom.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/brickos/brickos-0.2.6.07.nmChg.tar.gz

To perform step 4 without entering the cygwin shell you do the following:

1. Open an MSDOS box/command prompt.
2. Type the following at the prompt:

c:
cd \cygwin\brickos-0.2.6.07.nmChg
set BRICKOS_ROOT=/brickos-0.2.6.07.nmChg/
set OSTYPE=cygwin32
set PATH=%CYGNUS_HOME%\bin;%CYGNUS_HOME%\path to hitachi tools\bin;%PATH%
make realclean
make depend
make
cd util
make strip

3. Now you should have a complete successful build of BrickOS.
4. Try it out:

firmdl3 -tUSB ../boot/BrickOS.srec
dll -tUSB ../demo/helloworld.lx

John Hansen