 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2899
Re: Gcc Problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 22:57:54 GMT

Rick,

It sounds as if you have gcc working, however, the version of objcopy that
you copied from another folder is incompatible with the hitachi h8 version
of gcc.  You need to have a special version of objcopy that is designed for
the h8 (the RCX).  objcopy should have come with gcc and binutils.  Check
around on the drive for another version of objcopy... should be in the same
path as the other gcc files, but who knows.

I am not sure where you obtained gcc to begin with, but if you want to get a
pre-built copy of gcc and binutils for the h8, hitachi has them here:
http://semiconductor.hitachi.com/tools/2000r1_i686-cygwin32-x-h8300-hms.zip

One thing that is strange; usually the h8 compiler and tools have the prefix
h8300-hitachi-hms- or h8300-hms-;  You indicated that gcc.exe was just
'gcc.exe' without the prefix; where did you get gcc and binutils from?

// Joe

"Rick Bonari" <rbonari@mindspring.com> wrote in message
Hello,

      There is a line under Hitachi H8 tool prefix that goes like this:
HMSTOOLDIR=/usr/local/crossgcc. I changed it to HMSTOOLDIR=/usr/local and • I
changed TOOLPREFIX=$(HMSTOOLDIR)/h8300-hitachi-hms/bin/h8300-hitachi-hms- • to
TOOLPREFIX=$(HMSTOOLDIR)/h8300-hitachi-hms/bin. After looking through the
directories in Cygwin, I come up with the path above for gcc.exe. I • executed
make depend and it completed successfully and when I executed make it • almost
completed without errors. A quick question would be, I have a statement in
my makefile.common file that goes like this: SED_SFLAGS= There is nothing
after the equal sign. Is this correct? Also, when I execute Make, I come • up
with the following errors:

make [1]: /usr/local/h8300-hitachi-hms/bin/objcopy: legos.coff: Invalid • bfd
target (not sure what this means) At first it came up and said • ....objcopy:
Command not found and I had to copy objcopy.exe from the Cygwin bin
directory to the USR bin directory. Not sure what is going on with that? • It
seemed to work o.k. after that. Moving on to errors:

make [1]: ***[legos.srec] Error 1
rm legos.coff (Note error above)
make [1]: Leaving directory '/legos-0.2.6/boot'
make: ***[all] Error 2

When I execute Make Strip of course, it bombs miserably because I suspect • of
the above errors. Again all your help would be much appreciated.

Rick Bonari