 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2729
2728  |  2730
Subject:
Running legOS under DJGPP Status
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 19:38:12 GMT

With increase discussion about running legOS under DJGPP I started
investigating this process.  The following is a status report of where I am
and the steps I took to get there.  Beware that I have jumped around some,
left some tasks unfinished, and chose to investigate some aspects of these
when easier methods might be available, mostly for my own curiosity and
education.

The general request was for an "easier method for running legOS" under
windows then using cygwin.  My goal is to first provide "easier method" for
running legOS, second help educate the end user mostly through added
documentation and referencing sources, and finally, provide instructions on
the DJGPP environment such that the windows users is self-sufficient (i.e.
can build their own tools and cross compiler). I have been provided with an
informal deadline of this Thursday July 18 the start of Brickfest.  I am not
sure if I can make this timeframe but we shall see where I get this week. So
please feel free to follow along and try to resolve some of the remaining
issues.  You should also beware that the information below might be
inaccurate due to my mistakes, lack of understanding something, or my choice
of oversimplification for this posting.  Fell free to correct me and join
the effort.

I started off with the basic instructions located at legOS home page on
Sourceforge, http://legos.sourceforge.net/files/windows/djgpp/.  After
downloading the files and examining the zip files, I hesitantly ran the
winlegos executable. (I say hesitantly because it was an unknown exe and I
already have a working system using cygwin and did want to mess it or my
system up). After running the setup and rebooting successfully, I saw what
had been done previously by Rossz Vamos-Wentworth and the model to future
versions of winlegOS. The program folder is similar to the legOS tarball
distribution folders with the inclusion of a two directories, bin and H8.
The bin directory contains DOS executables for firmdl3, dll, makelx and
several GNU tools ported to DJGPP.  The H8 directory and its subdirectories
contain the Hitachi cross compiler and tools ported to the DJGPP
environment.

The documentation included gives a basic example of how a user can build
their user programs and with the tools provided download their program to
the RCX.  But it states that the tools themselves can not be built.  This
limitation both surprised me and begged the question why. So I started by
extracting the legOS tarball and installing (unzipping) the following
DJGPP/GNU packages; djdev203.zip, faq230b.zip, bnu2121b.zip, gcc31b.zip,
mak3791b.zip, txi42b.zip. I went straight to the utils directory and tried
make depend. After hitting a few errors indicate missing tools I installed
the following packages; fil316b.zip, shl2011b.zip, bsh204b.zip. About here I
got an error indicating a missing header file getopt.h which as it turns out
is either generated by the cross compiler or comes with it.  At this point I
decide to switch over to the task of building the Hitachi cross compiler
under DJGPP.

There were several resources which provide information on how to build the
cross compiler. With this in mind I chose to try the cross compiler build
script modified for the legOS project by Paulo Masetti
(http://legos.sourceforge.net/cygwin/download/legos-buildgcc.zip).  After
installing a few more DJGPP/GNU utilities (tar112ab.zip, gzip13b.zip,
sed203b.zip, pat253b.zip, grep24b.zip, txt20b.zip, dif28b.zip) and
correcting a couple of issues (removed the first line #!/bin/sh, added -p0
option to the patch command) I have started to configure the binutils. But
an error is received as I have described in the posting to
comp.os.msdos.djgpp, found here
http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=comp.os.msdos.d
jgpp&safe=off&selm=XoXW8.397%24CB.362181758%40news.netcarrier.net.

This is where I stand today.  At this point I still believe that it is
possible to create a full self contained legOS environment under DJGPP or
DOS. But as of yet I have not completed it and have hit at least one error
which is out of my area of expertise, sed command error while building  and
configuring the cross compiler. I don't believe I can have a complete
solution by BrickFest but we shall see.  I welcome anyone else's input and
joint development.  To get started follow these steps

1) download the following packages from a DJGPP site (I found to be in good
working shape, other are listed here ).

djdev203.zip
faq230b.zip
bnu2121b.zip
gcc31b.zip
mak3791b.zip
txi42b.zip
fil316b.zip
shl2011b.zip
tar112ab.zip
gzip13b.zip
sed203b.zip
pat253b.zip
grep24b.zip
txt20b.zip
dif28b.zip
unzip32.exe utility

2) At a DOS prompt, create a directory entitled DJGPP at the root directory

c:\mkdir DJGPP

3) using the DJGPP unzip utitlity, unzip32.exe, unzip the DJGPP/GNU packages

C:\DJGPP\unzip32 c:\temp\djdev203.zip
C:\DJGPP\unzip32 c:\temp\faq230b.zip
C:\DJGPP\unzip32 c:\temp\bnu2121b.zip
C:\DJGPP\unzip32 c:\temp\gcc31b.zip
C:\DJGPP\unzip32 c:\temp\mak3791b.zip
C:\DJGPP\unzip32 c:\temp\txi42b.zip
C:\DJGPP\unzip32 c:\temp\fil316b.zip
C:\DJGPP\unzip32 c:\temp\shl2011b.zip
C:\DJGPP\unzip32 c:\temp\tar112ab.zip
C:\DJGPP\unzip32 c:\temp\gzip13b.zip
C:\DJGPP\unzip32 c:\temp\sed203b.zip
C:\DJGPP\unzip32 c:\temp\pat253b.zip
C:\DJGPP\unzip32 c:\temp\grep24b.zip
C:\DJGPP\unzip32 c:\temp\txt20b.zip
C:\DJGPP\unzip32 c:\temp\dif28b.zip

4) setup the DJGPP environment setting and path using the djgpp

C:\DJGPP\djgpp

5) download the latest legOS tarball and install

c:\tar -xvfz legos-0.2.6.tar.gz

This should give you a good starting point to try out the makefiles. I look
forward to seeing others progress.

--
Ed Manlove
emanlove@eclipse.net