 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2670
2669  |  2671
Subject:
Error opening //./legotower1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 20:11:55 GMT

I am getting a common (apparent in the legos newsgroup) error "Error 53:
Opening //./legotower1" when I try to download a program.  I do successfully
use firmdl3 to download the kernel even using the --tty=usb option.  But
when I try to download a program using dll and the --tty=usb option I get
the above error. If you are not familiar with system error 53 it is "The
network path was not found".  I have tried modify this the declaration of
this to "//c/windows/system" ,etc. but I can't get anything to work.

There are four issues/resolutions I am looking at. One is the possibility
that since we are running the code under cygwin that the root directory //
might have different meanings on different machines/systems/setups.  Another
thought is
that installation of other support software like the LEGO MindStorm SDK
affects this path.  I was also considering that firmdl3 does not properly
shut done the usb connection.  Finally I was considering that the device
name is different.  Under my windows 98 system I can go to Control
Panel|System Properties|Device Manager and then view the devices by
connection.  I find my USB tower under ACPI BIOS|PCI Bus|USB Universal Host
Controller|USB Root Hub|LEGO USB Tower. Checking the driver properties I see
several files but nowhere do I see legotower1 (nor do I quite expect to see
it here).  Where does legotower1 come from?

From previous post I looks as if others had this problem but only with
firmdl.  There solutions also revolved around (I believe) the known bug with
check to see what host OS is compiling the source
(http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/rcx/legos/?n=2519) for which I have fixed.

Any thoughts?

Ed