 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 254
253  |  255
Subject:
IR questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 17:36:23 GMT

This is a whole bunch of IR questions, which come from my first serious
fooling around with the IR.  Since some of these are legOS or Linux
specific, I've cross-posted- I hope no one is too offended.

1) Despite putting the bot in an infinite while loop sending "H", the
tower turns off after 1-2 seconds. I was under the impression that
receiving from the bot would keep the tower alive. Is this incorrect? Is
there a special keep-alive from the bot, or should I just send out a keep
alive from the PC on a regular basis?

2) Using LegOS and send-raw, if I use something like tm-and-ir that
attempts to send an entire string, I'll sometimes get the first character,
but the rest of what I send is gibberish. In contrast, using a while(1)
loop to send a repeating characters (like "H") will get through with only
an occasional error. Is this a timing or threading problem? Something I
should be aware of in the code? Both ends are running at 2400 baud- would
dropping that rate help at all?

3) Perhaps Markus or Kekoa would be best suited to answer this- is there
a reason why send-raw does not prime the tower when no arguments are
presented on the command-line? It would seem obvious to do this by
sending out a single byte (which occurs automatically in Kekoa's send.)
Is there a reason why this doesn't happen? Will it interfere in the
robot?

Anyway, these are all the things I can think of right now.  If anyone has
answers or thoughts, please let me know-
Luis

     Profanity is the one language that all programmers understand.
                  -Anonymous