 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2500
Re: constructing a new network protocol for LegOS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 06:01:20 GMT

I'm a teaching assistant for a course at brown university that uses legOS
and the RCX extensively.  I've added quite a bit to legOS (0.2.5) to suit
our course needs, but the rest is all still there.  I've written up some
documentation and an API for legOS, including LNP.  You can reach the
documentation from here:

http://www.cs.brown.edu/courses/cs148

For the course, we added another layer to LNP - a simple reliable messaging
layer based on a stop-and-wait protocol with a single parity bit for the
sequence number.  You'll probably want to ignore anything that refers to
"reliable", cause that's not part of the official legOS distro.  There are
also a couple functions for runtime changing of the brick's LNP address
[lnp_get_hostaddr(), lnp_set_hostaddr()] that you'll want to ignore cause
those aren't there either.

hope that helps,
-Albert

ps:  Once exams are over and school gets out, I'll see if I can clean up the
changes I made and see if anyone wants patches.

"d208a" <jgra@cs.auc.dk> wrote in message news:Gv2u1C.IC4@lugnet.com...
Hi!

We're a group from Aalborg University who are about to design and • implement
a new network protocol for LegOS.

The protocol should be able to communicate via cables from the I/O ports • and
also via the IR port. It should be possible to address unique RCX's in the
network.
We've been trying to find an API for LNP but without any luck. Does anyone
know of a detailed documentation of LNP???
And we would like to hear any thoughts or comments on the project! :-)

Best regards
everybody in d208a