 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2409
Re: RFC: smaller task scheduler
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 03:43:47 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Joseph Woolley writes:

<snip>

BTW, as far as intended purpose of the task scheduler... I can see how the
current system 'could' be used in ways that the proposed could not.  Ex: The
current system 'could' service one high priority task after another until
all high priority tasks go to a WAITING state... then move down the priority
chain..  This would give tasks of equal priority, equal servicing.  (the
proposed system would not be able to accomodate this as easily)  However,
the current system doesn't do that.  It services the first high priority
process over and over until it enters a wait state; then moves on.

<snip>

Ok, so I was wrong about this.  I double checked the standard task
scheduler, and sure enough, it cycles through the high priority tasks, until
all are P_WAITING, then moves down the priority chain.  I appologize for the
confusion.

Again, this is probably a moot point, based on the work from the Dat4 project.

*** NOTE: In addition, I think the task scheduler (no matter what form)
could modify the time-slice based on the current process priority.  This
would definitely provide better performance for high-priority tasks... as
well as giving small time-slices to the low priority tasks (maybe even) more
often than the current tm ***

- Joe (knee deep in the kernel)  8-)