 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2249
Re: Strange behavior
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 16:18:17 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Robert Templeton writes:

Nothing like talking to yourself :), but I did finally find the problem and
it is in the code.  It isn't always what's there, but what's not.  Here's
the offending section:

//*** Move Forward ***
void moveForward(unsigned char speed)
{
  motor_a_speed(speed);
  motor_a_dir(fwd);
  motor_b_dir(off);
}

Instead of varying the speed, I had been varying the distance with this
function wrapper:

void forward(unsigned int distance)
{
   distance <<= 2;
   moveForward(MAX_SPEED);
   while(DISPLACEMENT < distance);
//*******************
   stopMotion();
   resetTurnDetector();
}

When I switched to speed variance, I figured I didn't need all of that
"useless" code in the forward() function.  Wrong!!! The lack of those two
comment-surrounded lines is the cause of the problem.

Say "Goodnight, Gracie."

Goodnight, Gracie...

D'oh!

Robert Templeton