 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2199
Re: Measuring robot turn angle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 04:35:46 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Robert Templeton writes:
The drive system in my robot is an adder-subtractor (see
http://carol.wins.uva.nl/~leo/lego/diff.html) which uses two differentials
in order to get equalized forward/reverse drive while allowing turning and
pivoting (turning in place).  For navigational purposes, the robot should be
able to turn or pivot a certain number of degrees relative to its current
heading, maybe with the assistance of a rotation sensor.  But, I am at a
loss as how to accomplish this in a non-interfering way considering that the
right and left wheel axles are independent of each other (the rotation
measurement would surely need to consider the rotation of each axle to
determine an accurate angle of rotation of the robot).  Any help
appreciated!! :)

Thanks,

Robert Templeton

Robert, I have been playing with this problem a bit.  Another approach is to
power each tread with a separate motor, use a differential assembly to add
the shaft rotation from both sides and use a rotation sensor to 'control' to
a zero difference.  Then... you will be driving a straight line.  If then
you interrupt one motor for (say) 30/100 of a second you will cause the
vehicle to turn.  Alternatively you could interrupt one motor until the
rotation sensor reached a certain limit, to get a more exact angle.  See my
attempts at http://www3.sympatico.ca/jdkalpin and navigate to 'The LEGO Lugger'.

Jerry