 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2197
  Measuring robot turn angle

The drive system in my robot is an adder-subtractor (see (URL) which uses two differentials in order to get equalized forward/reverse drive while allowing turning and pivoting (turning in place). For navigational purposes, the robot should be able (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Measuring robot turn angle

(...) Robert, I have been playing with this problem a bit. Another approach is to power each tread with a separate motor, use a differential assembly to add the shaft rotation from both sides and use a rotation sensor to 'control' to a zero (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Measuring robot turn angle

(...) I have done this, although not with a differential. My solution used a rotation sensor on each axel, and good navigation can be done with that. Since you can guarantee that both axels turn the same amount, a single rotation sensor should be (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Measuring robot turn angle

(...) Another option would be to connect a single rotation sensor directly to the motor that turns your robot. (you may wish to gear it down) You could not detect the distance forward or backward (from the other motor), but you could calculate the (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Measuring robot turn angle

Wanted to thank everybody for replies. I ended up attaching an 80-tooth gear to the rear axle (wheels are on the front set) after extending the axle. The rotation sensor is mounted on the chassis outside with an 8-tooth gear meshing to the other (...) (23 years ago, 13-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)