 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2183
Re: host address
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2001 00:40:19 GMT

Eric,

see the thread started by Zhengrong Zhang on 11/5/01 about this.

short:  we can't find any compelling reason to hardcode the address.  I'm
not sure about Zhengrong, but I've modified my copy of LegOS to support
"dynamic" addresses (i.e. can change address without recompiling) and it's
been working fine for a while now.

You probably wouldn't want to change the address while running a program,
that would be messy.  I found it cleaner to make an address-changing program
that uses lnpd on the PC side, and adding an address-changing command to the
brick-side IR signal handler.

-al

Eric Swalens <eric.swalens@easynet.be> wrote in message
Is there a reason to "hardcode" the host address using a define
(LNP_HOSTADDR)?

Things would be easier for me if I could change the address at run time • (when
calling lnp_init). Is it safe to replace the defines by a variable?

Eric

--
web: http://student.ulb.ac.be/~eswalens