 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2097
Re: Problems installing in Win98
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 12:15:06 GMT

I am trying to setup legOS on a Windows ME machine following the directions
posted by Max Bowsher.  I am using Cygwin 1.3.3 which comes with gcc
2.95.3-5.  Everything goes fine until I try to make the gcc cross compiler
using the command 'make ALL_TARGET_MODULES="" ' as directed in Max's post.
I get the following error:

gcc -c -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -O2 -I. -I../../gcc-2.95.3-5/libiberty/../include   -W
-Wall -Wtraditional ../../gcc-2.95.3-5/libiberty/strerror.c
../../gcc-2.95.3-5/libiberty/strerror.c:464: conflicting types for `sys_errlist'

/usr/include/sys/errno.h:23: previous declaration of `sys_errlist'
make[1]: *** [strerror.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/lego-ms/build-gcc/libiberty'
make: *** [all-libiberty] Error 2

Can anybody help me?  I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Justin

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Max Bowsher writes:
How difficult was it doing the build on your machine? Could you post or
send me the steps you followed or else point me to any documentation
that might help?

You will need both source and binary tarballs of gcc and binutils, from the
CygWin setup utility.
You may also need autoconf, automake, flex, yacc, bison etc. -- or not, I
don't know. They were installed when I did my build.
You should also get egcs-1.1.1-rcx.diff from http://www.noga.de/legOS/

Choose a directory to do your build in - say /lego-ms. Make it, and unzip
the two source tarballs into it.Make two directories,
/lego-ms/build-binutils and /lego-ms/build-gcc to actually do the build in.

Change to the build-binutils dir, and do:
../binutils-version/configure --target=h8300-hms --disable-nls --prefix=/leg
o-ms
   WARNING: Temporary semi-crash at 'finding the maximum length of command
line arguments'
       Wait, and the build *will* recover and continue.
make
make install

You should apply a patch to gcc now.
Change to gcc-source-dir/gcc/config/h8300, and do patch -b -i
path/to/egcs-1.1.1-rcx.diff
Even though the patch is for an old version, it still works OK.

Now, change to the build-gcc dir, and do:
export PATH=/lego-ms/bin:$PATH
../gcc-version/configure --target=h8300-hms --disable-nls --prefix=/lego-ms
--enable-languages="c,c++" --with-newlib
make ALL_TARGET_MODULES=""
make INSTALL_TARGET_MODULES="" install

If all goes well, you now have the compiler tools in place.
If not, reply with the exact error message and the point at which it
occured, and I will try to assist. Bear in mind that I am pretty much a
newbie to gcc, and just 'fiddled' until it worked.

On to legOS:
Should build fine, except that the _WIN32 define is required for programs in
the util directory, to get a functioning version of dll and firmdl3. Either
edit util/Makefile.common and util/dll-src/Makefile, adding
"-D_WIN32" (without the quotes) to CFLAGS in each, or apply the attatched
patch (not attatched for newsgroup)

Hopefully, you should now have a working legOS.
I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Max.