 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 1943
Re: Hardware Hacking of RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 14:13:07 GMT

Roy Wood wrote:
(snip)
The more interesting prospect is adding an additional motor port.  I
know I'd have to add a motor driver at the very least, but it seems
possible.  The fact that there are two unused bits at 0xF000 makes this
particularly encouraging.  Once again, anyone have any comments on this?
(snip)

Hmm...

Heres one idea that'll look REALLY good on your resume :)

Asymmetric Multiprocessing: RCX -> Basic Stamp 2p40

Use the RCX to communicate with a Parallax Basic Stamp. You can use a 5v
regulator and control the Stamp with two RCX output ports. Use
bit-banging (http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/bit-bang.html)
on two lines to do synchronous serial output. You lose 2 motor outputs
on the RCX, but with a Stamp 2p40 you can get another 15 back - no speed
control, but bidirectional and with brake/float.

Even more elegant is using a /sensor/ port for /output/ - active=1,
passive=0. A simple circuit (6 diodes, a regulator and a capacitor) will
suffice to interface the RCX and the Basic Stamp. You get 15 more
motors, using up any 2 ports (input OR output) on the RCX. Pretty good,
eh?

Happy hacking.

-Jacob
--
"Terminak #3 has bad keyboard. Pkease fix."