 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 1942
Re: Hardware Hacking of RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 10:55:43 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Roy Wood writes:
Considering that LegOS talks directly to the hardware, this seems like a
good place to ask the following questions.

I am yet again frustrated at having only three inputs and three outputs
on my RCX, and am wondering at the possibility of hacking the hardware.

I've started digging through the Hitachi docs and can see that most of
the inputs are used up, except maybe Port 4 bit 7-- I'm not sure if the
negative WAIT signal is used or if this is available as an input pin.  I
also wonder if it might be possible to do something with the second set
of four A/D conversion lines, though I have to look into that further.
Anyone have comments on either of those?

And yes, I know it's pretty easy to use a few resistors to connect
multiple contact switches to a single input port.

The more interesting prospect is adding an additional motor port.  I
know I'd have to add a motor driver at the very least, but it seems
possible.  The fact that there are two unused bits at 0xF000 makes this
particularly encouraging.  Once again, anyone have any comments on this?

Thanks for any feedback....

-Roy

Hi,
if want to use more sensors, then you might wanna look at
http://www.informatik.fh-hamburg.de/~lego/
Take a look at "3 Sharps using 1 input", heat up your soldering iron and
have fun.

Olaf Christ

If knowlege is power, how come the more I learn, the more I realize how much
I don't know?
That isn't very empowering.