 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 1771
Re: ROM Firmware size limit? Firmdl bug?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 16:01:19 GMT

Kieran Elby  <K.E.Elby@durham.ac.uk> wrote:
Hmm. Quad speed downloading in Version 3.1 doesn't seem to work under
Cygwin on W2K (though single speed does). It always returns either a
'write: permission denied' of 'bad ir link' error (which one it is seems
to be random!) , even if the lighting / battery conditions are exactly
the same as for succesful quad-speed downloads with version 3.0, and the
rcx has been freshly erased. The problem may lie with the nbread method
in rcx_comms (again, bear in mind this is from memory) - in version 3.0
there is some windows specific code, while in version 3.1 it has been
removed. Fortunately, I've solved the problem (at least for me) by
replacing the v3.1 rcx_comms files with the v3.0 ones, and reinstating
the #ifdef (_WIN32) #include <windows.h> lines in firmdl.c.

I remember when I added support for larger firmware files, there was a
merge that took place to get my changes into the LegOS version of firmdl.
Probably Cygwin support got lost during this merge.  This should be put
back into LegOS for sure, and should probably also be put into the version
on my web page so all versions of firmdl are in sync.  If somebody does the
LegOS merge, then sends me the relevant files, I will take a look at them
and merge the same functionality into the "official" version on my web
page.  Just make sure you don't lose any possible 3.1 functionality when
reverting to 3.0 rcx_comms...  I don't think I added any new rcx_comms
functionality in 3.1, but you never know what somebody else might have
done.

-Kekoa