 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 1753
1752  |  1754
Subject:
ROM Firmware size limit? Firmdl bug?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 17:50:09 GMT

Hi!
I'm using legOS 0.2.4 on Cygwin, and since memory is tight, I thought
I'd try statically compiling my program to an .srec file, and using
firmdl3 to download it, since I can do without the keys,conio,task, and
memory managment stuff.
This works fine for small programs, but for large programs (total size >
~20k) firmdl3 throws an "error in srec file on line X" error. Looking at
the code of firmdl3, there seems to be a define along the lines of
MAX_IMAGE_SIZE = 0x4c00 (this is from memory - i don't have internet
access from my PC!). Increasing this value makes the error go away, but
then the RCX crashes (with a buzzing sound!) when trying to download
programs.
I assume this is due to a ROM limitation, but I was kind of hoping that
maybe someone had found a way around this?

Thanks,
Kieran