 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 1727
Re: multiple "execi" with different priorities
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 21:32:53 GMT

"Athan Kostakos" <athan@icu.strath.ac.uk> writes:

Hi,

I am trying to run three different tasks, with the "execi" command. When all of
the have the same priority=10, everything works ok.
When I change the priority in one of them priority=11 or 12, then everything
seems to go much slower, and sometimes the RCX hangs.
I use the command:
execi(&process,0,NULL,10,DEFAULT_STACK_SIZE);

Is there a problem with the way I use the command?

That line seems ok to me.  Setting priority for a task above 10 (normal
priority) may cause starvation to other tasks.  This depend on what your
function process() does.  If it never waits (using calls like wait_event(),
sleep(), sem_wait()...) lower priority tasks never get the CPU again and
stop.

RCX hanging should not happen simply by calling exci().  I don't know, may
be there is a deadlock or a memory location overwritten by mistake.  Try to
inspect your code for such things.  May be you are so lucky to have found a
kernel bug :-).

bye
Bernardo