 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 120
Re: floats
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 05:33:06 GMT

Luis Villa  <liv@duke.edu> wrote:
When I try to use a float in my code, I get a compiler message somewhere
along these lines:

So- can anyone explain to me exactly what the limits are? Can I use
floats? Are other types affected? Do I have to define them in a particular
way? Or do I just need to hack around this? I mean, it's not too difficult
(particularly in this case) but it would be nice to know. Any thoughts
would be appreciated...

The errors you see are due to the fact that there is no hardware support
for floating point.  The compiler substitutes calls to the software
equivalents, which do not exist; hence the linker errors you see.

The math routines that do exist are integer only, and I believe all the
basic operators (+, -, *, /, %, =, !=, <, >, <=, >=) are supported for
signed and unsigned chars, shorts, and longs.

If you can get away with it, I would highly recommend using fixed point
math instead of floating point math.

-Kekoa