 Robotics / RCX / Java / 99
Re: Is anyone using Java+RCX in their intro CS teaching?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.java
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 19:33:04 GMT

Yes, I will be using Java and the RCX in a course at Berkeley this fall.
I used NQC last spring, but switched to java to use an OO language, get more
space total memory and in particular more space for variables.  And because a
couple of my students were interested enough to master LeJOS and program a
robot that won the Sun Lego Mindstormes Java challange last spring.

You can find the course description at  http://www.ieor/courses/ieor140.html

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.java, David J. Barnes writes:
Hi all,

Traffic is a little light in this group, so I thought I would see if any
of its readers is doing anything with Java and the RCX in a particular
area of interest that I have. There is quite a lot of intro Java
teaching (including mine) that is concerned with simulating
moving-things with AWT/Swing graphics - robots, turtles, ships, etc.. I
am quite interested in looking at the ways in which using the RCX as a
vehicle for actually teaching Java might affect the way in which Java
material is taught on an intro course. For instance, it seems to me that
programming most naturally with sensors will quickly tend to lead to an
event-driven style of programming - similar to programming GUI-based
applications - rather than the more traditional sequential and iterative
style. If anyone has any experience with using the RCX in this way, or
simply if anyone is thinking of using RCX+Java on an intro programming
course, and would like to share their thoughts with me, then I would be
pleased to hear from them.

David
=====
David J. Barnes (d.j.barnes@ukc.ac.uk)