 Robotics / RCX / Java / 315
314  |  316
Subject:
RotationNavigator accuracy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.java
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 16:07:44 GMT

Hi,

I just try the rotation navigator class and have some problems with
turning accuracy.

My robot is a tank with treads and moving without turning works well,
travel() moves the correct distance.
Turning with rotate() or gotoAngle() is  problematic. It seems, that
accuracy depends on motorpower. If I set power to 6, the robot turns
only half the angle. If I do not set motor power and the navigator
class runs with default values for power, accuracy is better, but still
poor. How can this be, if it calculates with rotation sensor values,
wich do not depend on motor power?

Perhaps it is a problem, that a tank with treads behaves different from
a robot with wheels, especially in performing turns with his treads?

Here is the constructor of my navigator:

RotationNavigator nav=new RotationNavigator(2.64f, 9.5f, 1.0f);

The drive length is the length from one middle of the tread to the
middle of another.

Especially I do not understand, why the turning accuracy depends on
motor power and why the resulting turning angle is so different
depending on motor power.

Regards
Michael