 Robotics / RCX / Java / 235
Re: fast download with Serial-Tower is no faster
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.java
Date:
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 12:13:30 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.java, Frederic Siva writes:
Problem: when doing a "lejosrun -f mystuff.bin", it does not go any faster
than without the -f option.  How to make the -f option to work ?

Many thanks, I think lejos is perfect, but the speed to put the prgm in the
RCX is far too slow when debugging and making many changes.  I would love
speeding this by a 4x factor !

Frederic,

lejosrun does not support 4x download. It has a -f or --fast flag but the
"use_fast" variable that this sets is not used.

lejosfirmdl does support 4x download with serial towers. It does this by
first downloading a fast firmware downloader that changes the bit rate from
2400 bps to 4800 bps, and omits the complement bytes sent after each byte.

The lejos firmware does not support this so fast download cannot be used for
programs. I think it could be made to work, but switching modes between
program download and program running might be tricky.

Lawrie Griffiths