 Robotics / RCX / Java / 229
228  |  230
Subject:
iPAQ <-> RCX serial communication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.java
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 16:21:55 GMT

Hello People

I am working on a project where we are trying to use a compaq handheld with
linux and a wireless card as the "brain" of robots. "Underneath" we have an
RCX acting as a "spine", which is supposed to receive macro commands from the
PC and execute them. We are using java on the PC side and LeJOS as firmware
for the RCX. The command path should be somehow as follows:

Remote App --[Jini/Wireless]--> iPAQ --[Tower/IR]--> RCX.

So far everything works perfectly from PC to PC to RCX, but now we are about
to install the whole app on the iPAQ.

Of course our robots should be entirely mobile, so we need to pack the
following on a robot: iPAQ, Wireless card, Tower, RCX and a hell of a lot of
cable, connecting Tower and iPAQ. I don't want to go into any discussions of
how silly this is/might be, I am aware that people are working on iPAQ/RCX
direct communication (rcxir project), but I haven't had the time to look at
it yet.

My question/problem is a different one:

I cross-compiled the Lejos tools for the iPAQ and tried to run lejosfirmdl
just to see if communication over the serial cable (iPAQ - Tower - RCX)
worked. The tool runs allright, and even the tower-light goes on (indicating
that data is being sent), however lejosfirmdl returns with "tower not
responding". Has anybody any idea what the cause for this might be?

Appreciate any answers, thanks in advance.
Kaspar

PS: At the moment I am using the serial hot-sync cable which is attached to
the cradle of the iPAQ. I had to use a female-to-male connector, in order to
be able to even connect the tower's cable. I set RCXTTY to /dev/ttySA0 on the
iPAQ, which seems to be the proper serial device (as the light on the tower
goes on after starting lejosfirmdl).