 Robotics / RCX / Java / 228
Re: download speed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.java
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 22:38:22 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.java, Daniel Silva writes:
I noticed that Lejos (2.0.0) is very slow to download programs or
firmware to the rcx, compared to brickOS or the oficial legomindstorms
application. A 600 bytes class for examplo takes 40 seconds. Is this
true or i'm doing something wrong? Can the communication protocols
discussed in this newsgroup improve this?

Daniel,

Much more than the 600 byte class gets downloaded. If you do lejos myclass
-o myclass.bin, and look at the size of myclass.bin, you will see the true
size of the download.

If you have a serial rather than usb tower, then you can use the -f flag and
get 4x faster download. lejos does not support fast downloading for usb
(although it has now been shown to be possible).

The comms protocols discussed on this newsgroup and on the lejos discussion
group are for program to program communication, not for download, so they
won't improve download speed

Lawrie