 Robotics / RCX / Java / 188
Re: Controlling Multiple RCX's from one PC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.java
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 18:01:31 GMT

Lawrie Griffiths has majorly reworked the RCX communications support in
leJOS. His architecture allows you to define protocol stacks that sit on top
of a basic transport mechanism. He has implemented support for the LNP stack
used in legos - which provides addressing as part of the protocol (in other
words you can send message to a specific address).

This will be released as part of the next lejos release along with many
other big improvements.

Naturally I don't know exactly when that will be, but I think we are talking
weeks rather than months (unless we find any major problems).

I know that he was planning on commiting his changes to the main branch late
this week, so if any of you are up for building your own release, you could
do so!

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.java, Laurence K.W. Yip writes:
Hi, Roger and Jonathan!!

I'd like to get your code too as I'm also interested to do the same thing as
Jonathan.
Would you mind also sending your source code about controlling multiple mindstorms
using one PC to me? I'd like to have more exchange with yours in the future about
this context!

Thanks in advance!

Laurence

Roger Glassey wrote:

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.java, Jonathan Dallas writes:
I'm working on a project that requires four RCX's to be controlled by one
laptop.  The program on the laptop is written in Java and the program on the
RCXs is written in lejos.  I'm using RCXPort to establish a connection
between them.

The problem I'm running into is that if I have more than one RCX running in
front of the same tower, it causes an exception and then prevents the laptop
from sending the data to the RCX.

Has anyone found a way around this?

Hi Jonathan,
I send  messages from the PC to 3 RCX's with no problem, but I use the Tower
object running on my PC, and Serial in the RCX.  I don't use Stream objects
because they actually only send one byte at a time and not yet very reliable.

The trick in using the send(byte[] b, int n)method in Tower is to set the
correct value in b[0] before you send it.
To send a packet containing  1 data byte (packet length 2) use
   packet[0]= 0xf7;
Example:

  byte[] packet = {0xf7,0x08};
   tower.send(packet,2);

will send the message containing the data byte  0x08 to every RCX within range

A packet containing 5 data bytes (length 6) can use  0x05   as packet[0]

If you wish, I can send you my source code.
Good luck,
Roger
glassey@ieor.berkeley.edu