 Robotics / RCX / 999
Re: Mindstorms for Dummies (off topic)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 22:02:00 GMT

Jeffrey Hazen wrote:

I had to laugh out loud at Ralph's description: "Mindstorms for Dummies
really
does live up to its name."

Not likely, but does anyone remember seeing a cartoon called The Ultimate
Video Game?  Just a single panel, showing an arcade game with a rifle
pointing out at the joystick.  The game was called "Test Your Mortality."

(Rant Mode On)

The whole "Whatever for Dummies" books baffle me.  I have to think that
this is an American phenomenon.  True?  Why on earth would you buy a book
targeted specifically at dummies?  AOL for Dummies I understand.  It seems
like an oxymoron, Mindstorms for Dummies.  What's next, Advanced Nuclear
Physics for Dummies.....Boom?

A friend of mine was asked to write Chaos for Dummies[1]. He
declined[2]. :-)

Cheers,

Ben.

[1] No, really!

[2] I wonder if he'd've taken a less dim view of it if they'd called it
"Dynamical Systems for Dummies"?

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html