 Robotics / RCX / 968
967  |  969
Subject:
lcd trouble and velocities questions.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 06:40:19 GMT

Hello!

I' am french, from Paris ( a way to say: excuse my english... or feel free to
correct it!). Few weeks ago I download legOS (v2.5), and I made my first step
with it.
First all I wish to thank all people involved in this project. This OS is
really good and I was very happy to finaly got the 'hello word' message in my
RCX. I personaly use the cygwinB20 with emacs as editor under Win98. Using C++
and object oriented code on the rcx is really nice.
I built a kind of rover. Here it is:
Six parallel and non orientable wheels ( 3 on left side, 3 on right side ).
On each side the front and back wheels are mechanicaly linked and motorized
(OUT_A & OUT_C).
On each side the middle wheel is free and linked to a rotation sensor with a
1:3 ratio (input 1 & 3).
The RCX it self is mounted on a motorized (OUT_B) turret because I wanted to
have an oriantable IrRadar.
A light sensor and 2 switchs are mounted on input 2. The turret stroke is
limited to 180° (rcx wires pass thru it so it should not turn more!). The
switch indicates that the turret reach either -90 or 90°.
The way it moves:
Straight: both Left and Right Motors turn the four wheels. Middle wheel give
the distance.
Rotation: Left and Right Motors turn in opposite way. So the Robot act as a
caterpillar. The Wheels should be enough hard to skid smoothly during the
rotation. As the Middle wheel are exactly in the middle they don't prevent the
rotation of the robot.

During the developement process, I succesfully crashed the OS many time. I had
to physically remove the battery, and load again the legOS.
Most of those crashes happens when I tried to access some lcd function from low
level and certainly too fast task. Now I have gathered all lcd output in the
main task and I always msleep after an lcd output.
Does anyone could explain me what are the exact limitation in lcd usage. Is
there any synchro signal to wait before using them ? any delay to respect after
using them ?

To  decide the winners, here is a another question:
I wrote a task wich compute the current speed of wheels every 250 ms and (will)
update the robot coordinates. Then I saw in dsensor.h a variable ds_velocitie.
Does legOS update speed from rotation sensor ? How it work ?

merci d'avance,
michael.