 Robotics / RCX / 742
Re: Communicatin between NQC and legOS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 06:26:05 GMT

In article <G16wrp.Au0@lugnet.com>, "Rainer Balzerowski"
<Balze2@gmx.net> wrote:

Hi folks,

is it possible to communicate between two RCX, one running NQC, one
running
legOS ?

I have to solve this problem for using a RCX programmed with legOS and
the
Vision Command camera.
The vision command camera software requires an "alive-message" via IR
from the
RCX at least every 5 seconds.
This works fine with NQC [SendMessage(x)] but does not work with legOS
[lnp_integrity_write(test,1)].

Where are the differences between this to functions ?
Is there a frame around the transmitted data using NQC ?
If so what does it look like ?

The protocol used by the standard firmware (which is what NQC relies on)
is described on these sites:

http://graphics.stanford.edu/~kekoa/rcx/
http://www.crynwr.com/lego-robotics/

the opcode of interest is F7 (thats what gets sent as a transmitted
message).  The entire packet would look like this:

55 ff 00 f7 08 x ~x s ~s

where x is the message you want to send
~x is the one's complement of x
s is the checksum (f7 + x)
~s is the one's complement of the checksum

For example, sending message 1:

55 ff 00 f7 08 01 fe f8 07

Dave

p.s.  You can also spy on nqc to figure out the packet.  Tell nqc to
send the message, and enable verbose mode:

nqc -v -msg 1

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com