 Robotics / RCX / 602
Re: NCQ and LegOS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 19:17:41 GMT

Michael Firman <mikefirman@hotmail.com> wrote:
Do they allow you to store data in memory locations?

LegOS, yes. NQC, not as you'd probably like -- although you do get access to
32 register variables, and of course you can use the datalog.

Can you make the RCX display show any value you like?

With LegOS yes. With NQC and the original firmware, no. With the upcoming
release of the new firmware, you'll be able to do this with NQC too.

Which is the more versitile of the two languages, and does VB offer the same
as NQC and LegOS?

LegOS gives you more raw control over the brick, but it's a lot more
difficult to set up and use. NQC uses the standard firmware, so it'll be
easy for almost anyone you want to share with to use your programs.

Programming the RCX in visual basic isn't something I'd recommend. You end
up with a worst-of-both-worlds scenario -- on the one hand, the brick can't
actually run visual basic code, of course. So what you do in VB is write VB
code that generates the bytecodes for the brick -- you don't actually have
access to high-level language features as you do in NQC.  However, on the
other hand, this approach doesn't give you the power of LegOS, because you
still are talking through the standard firmware.

Quotes 'R' Us                     --->               http://quotes-r-us.org/
Boston University Linux             --->                http://linux.bu.edu/