 Robotics / RCX / 547
Re: P-brick Script code terminology
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 04:49:46 GMT

Some sort of brick metaphor would work for me.

Dennis

Ian Warfield wrote:

Conrad,

LEGO does refer to series of commands as 'stacks'.  This comes from the
Robotics Invention System RCX Code interface where a program is a
literal 'stack' of instruction blocks; those who haven't used RCX Code much
wouldn't recognize the reference.  I honestly don't know why they
chose 'stack' either; it's caused many people confusion.  Although I can't
think of an appropriate alternative term to use in its place.  Hmm.

Ian Warfield

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Conrad Venn writes:
Perhaps someone can clarify this for me...

I've been looking at the LEGO P-brick Script code language documentation that
comes with the RIS 2.0 SDK PreAlpha.

I was initially confused by the numerous references to program stacks.

Does 'stack' here simply mean a series of program instructions? It seems that
it must.

It's just that in my limited (26 years) experience of programming, 'stack' has
always meant a data structure and not code.

[...]

Conrad

--
Dennis Williamson - Certified Y2K Complacent

Bad News: The next millenium starts on a Monday.
Good News: You get the day off.

(remove .NO and SPAM. to reply)