 Robotics / RCX / 479
Re: (Slightly Offtopic:) WinAmp remote control via IR Tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 04:47:01 GMT

Well!  A kind soul pointed me to:

http://henrik.husted.net/winamp.htm

which has a neat Winamp plugin that allows the program to be controlled by the
serial port.  Now I just need to convince the IR tower to play nice with
others.  The plugin tries to open Com 2 (where my tower's plugged in), but
Windows says the port's in use.  Normally, I'd say that some other app's using
the com port, but there's nothing (except Mindstorms, which is not active) on
my computer that talks to the com port.  No fax programs, no serial mice,
nuthin'.  Just the IR tower.

Couple general questions.
Does Mindstorms have some sort of TSR that "owns" the com port the IR tower is
attached to?

What communications parameters does the tower use?  8N1?

Do there exist raw serial port data displays, so I can see whether or not I'm
getting any input at all from the serial port?

If this isn't the appropriate forum for this message, please let me know
(gently), along with any suggestions as to other venues.

Thanks in advance!
SNIP<<