 Robotics / RCX / 452
Re: Radio Shack CDS cells in parallel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 22:43:38 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Mike Burger writes:
When I first checked out the Radio Shack CDS [snip]
very large metal cased one that
had a horrible super low resistance range, perhaps defective.

I built a sensor out of one of those and it works fine, so yours is probably
defective.  I superglued mine to the top of a 2x2 brick with the studs
removed.  You can see my high tech design at http://www.ben.com/LEGO/rcx/

I tried this idea and it worked.  You can put several of the small
higher resistance CDS cells in parallel to partially adjust their
resistance and response range.

You could also just connect a suitable fixed resistor in parallel to adjust the
resistance range down (or in series to adjust it up).  Given R1 and R2:  in
series, Rtotal = R1 + R2; in parallel, 1/R1 + 1/R2 = 1/Rtotal.

If you want a larger "viewing angle" then multiple CdS sensors might be the way
to go.

The most clever design I've seen uses two CdS sensors as a voltage divider
(buffered by an op amp) as a "comparative light sensor".  I've breadboarded one
of those but not built it into a brick yet.  Maybe I should learn how to do
surface mount.  :-)

--Ben