 Robotics / RCX / 418
417  |  419
Subject:
Ultimate Expansion set Remote Control?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 23:11:35 GMT

One of the first things I purchased was the Mindstorms  remote control. It
is not
expensive, less than $20 'merican.

It can send messages 1, 2 and 3 (three buttons)

It can force motors on forward, or reverse overriding a running program (three
pairs of buttons, one pair for each output)

It can start programs 1-5 (five buttons)

It can stop, apparently a stop all tasks command. (one red button)

It can demand a beep from a robot to test if the robot can see the remote
(one button)

It uses a couple of AA batteries.
------

I find it extremely useful.  The robot can see it reflected off all sorts of
things and
it does not have to be pointing at the control, it can be facing away at some
distance.

I use it to retrieve robots, vs chashing them under the couch etc.  Start and
stop programs.  But also to test motor setups and drives by hooking up
to an RCX brick and then using the remote to control the outputs in real time.
Very handy. It gets an unfortunate amount of use sending the "stop" command
to out of control runaways, but it beats getting rugburn chasing after them.
I love being able to stop a runaway and then drive it right back to me to
pick it up.

It is a bit smaller and lighter than a standard TV remote control.

I was hoping it could send any message, but apparently only 1, 2 and 3 are
supported as raw IR message codes.  I am not clear on how it forceably
overrides a running program to force an output.

BTW, checking the web pages looking for the new goodies, I found a new
tachometer device.  A speed indicator that consists of a display unit and
a brick unit that is supposed to attach to an axle.  Shop at Home said this
morning "we have no information on when that will be available." Not meant to
be a Mindstorms product, but for racing cars.

Shop at Home this morning said the Mars Expansion Set "would be available
in March 2000".