 Robotics / RCX / 39
  Re: Light sensor initialization?

(...) [snip] (...) Yes -- check out my RoboTag program at (URL) RoboTag, the sensor is pointing at the ground, which is probably grey/brown/white, with black border lines. My program reads the light level at start, and assumes that it isn't on a (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Light sensor initialization?

Matthew's program takes one reading at initialization time to determine a baseline value. Any reading that falls 7 units below this is assumed to be a dark line. I take a somewhat more conservative approach, taking 10 readings over one second and (...) (25 years ago, 15-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Light sensor initialization?

(...) Wow. I feel I should point out that experimentally my method works 100% of the time. :) On the other hand, mine is a special-case application: the light sensor is used to read color values from a surface, which presumably will have very little (...) (25 years ago, 15-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Light sensor initialization?

(...) This is my inspiration for adding on-the-fly init code, btw. RoboTag uses two seperate robots, and it turns out that my friend -- the source of the second mindstorms kit -- has a light sensor which reads about 10 "darker" than mine. (25 years ago, 15-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Light sensor initialization?

(...) That's why I suggested a solution that works in all cases. It's not much harder than your solution either. (URL) Robert Munafo (25 years ago, 15-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Light sensor initialization?

(...) going in a circle. (25 years ago, 15-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Light sensor initialization?

(...) Huh? You mean, your robot doesn't work unless you point it in a certain direction before starting the program? That doesn't sound too robust. Okay, let's change the algorithm: (this is for a line tracker that follows "dark" lines and relies on (...) (25 years ago, 15-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Light sensor initialization?

(...) Partly, I can think of cases where that might be ugly. But more importantly, I often want to set up a scenario so that two robots will bump into each other in a certain place. (For making movies, showing off to friends, etc.) Can't do that as (...) (25 years ago, 15-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)