 Robotics / RCX / 311
  RCX onboard timer and motor pulsing

Hi All, Since I am and train head I don't read .RCX (this topic might be well exhausted) I just read thru a third party book on the RCX and in one place he said the timer granularity in 1/10 sec and in another it was 1/1000 sec. My goal is to pulse (...) (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.trains)

  Re: RCX onboard timer and motor pulsing

(...) It is 1/10 of a second for the timers. However, in case you don't know. The RCX's Motor ports PULSE their signal. They always put out the same voltage. At level 8 it's 100% at level 4 it's an even on/off. I use it for my trains and it's great. (...) (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.trains)

  Re: RCX onboard timer and motor pulsing

(...) The timers run at 1/10 sec, but granularity for "waiting" a task is 1/100 sec. The PWM used for motor output has granularity of 1/1000 sec. Dave Baum p.s. I hope it wasn't my book that stated 1/10 and 1/1000 - if so could you e-mail me the (...) (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.trains)

  Re: RCX onboard timer and motor pulsing

(...) I was just experimenting with this a few days ago. An RCX using PWM does a far better job of driving the LEGO train motors than the simple variable voltage from the LEGO train control. You can make a train creep around just above stall speed (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.trains)

  Re: RCX onboard timer and motor pulsing

Hi Ben, I think I missed something here. What is "PWM mode"? What language are you programing in? And what is the "internals page"? Thanks so much for pursueing this! I did pick up the Unofficial Guideo to LEGO MS Robots by Jon Knudsen but only (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.trains)

  Re: RCX onboard timer and motor pulsing

(...) PWM stands for "pulse width modulation". The LEGO speed control changes voltage as you turn the knob. An RCX turns the motor on and off really fast but always supplies full voltage. So half speed is a 50% duty cycle of full power, rather than (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.trains)

  Re: RCX onboard timer and motor pulsing

A few (Hah!) years ago we used to get that realistic slow train speed by running our Lionel "O" gauge and American Flyer engines on DC. We used an AC Gilbert rectifier that was a full-wave selenium unit. By adding a switch we made it be only (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.trains)

  Re: RCX onboard timer and motor pulsing

(...) For fun, with a second sensor you can make a gouvenor, which takes it speed from the track, and with a third motor you can change the gouvenor setting :-). It works reasonably with the ligth sensor as well. Then it is analog. But I found the (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.trains)