 Robotics / RCX / 2839
Re: NQC vs. NXC vs. MS-VC vs. RobotC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:55:15 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Elizabeth Mabrey wrote:

|NQC :==========================================
|Only support RCX, and need a BrickCC installed separate as the firmware &
IDE
|Pretty full set functions, supports events . But, can I monitor
|different port or sensors feedback??? Is it preemptive?

The NQC solution supports all LEGO programable bricks from the CyberMaster to
the Spybot, including the RCX.  The Scout, RCX, and Spybot platforms supports
event monitoring (for the RCX this requires the 2.0 firmware).  If you obtain
NQC by installing BricxCC then you do not need to download anything separately
(since BricxCC comes with the latest version of NQC).  The monitorable events
are documented in NQC Guide.  See section 3.9.1 on page 52 for details.  Also
see Events starting on page 100 of the RCX 2.0 Firmware Command Overview or
SetEvent starting on page 61 of the Spybotics Firmware Command Overview.

|NXC :==========================================
|Very much like NQC, but it requires  a separate firmware, it also needs
|another layer called NBC (NXT Byte Code). Humm.
|Well, it is very new, perhaps they all will be merge into a single package.
|Completely text-based

NXC also comes with BricxCC.  It only supports the NXT.  It is very similar to
NQC and almost certainly it will become more and more similar to NQC to the
point where it could rightfully be known as NQC for the NXT.

Support for NXC is built into the NBC compiler so with one compiler you can
write code in NXC or NBC.  Both languages are supported in BricxCC.  At the
moment you do need to download the latest NXC beta separately from BricxCC but
that will change in the future so that the latest official release of BricxCC
will include the very latest official release of NBC/NXC.  NXC does not require
a separate firmware.  It uses the standard LEGO NXT firmware.

John Hansen