 Robotics / RCX / 2827
Re: RCX2 Sensor Mux/Demux.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2006 13:53:56 GMT

On Thu, September 7, 2006 9:52 pm, Atul wrote:
With the construction of my latest robot, I've ended up using more
than 3 sensors  - 2 rotation sensor, 2 touch sensors and 1 light
sensor. My RCX2 has just 3 sensor ports. I do remember seeing a
write-up about how to combine two sensors by piggy-backing them on one
single RCX2 sensor port. But I am unable to locate it now. Does
somebody have a copy/link to that document? Or, does somebody knows
how I can use 5 sensors without using any special device to combine
them?

Atul,

This is a really good combination of sensors to try to MUX.  Depending on what
sensors can be exclusive, you should be able to do this without any additional
hardware.

You can connect a light sensor to one port, and also connect a touch sensor to the
same port.  When the touch sensor is NOT pressed, you will see the value from the
light sensor (like something between 30 and 50).  When it IS pressed, the value will
jump to 90 or more, and you will no longer see the reading from the light sensor.

This "trick" will also work with a rotation sensor and a touch sensor.

Many times, you're only looking at one or two sensors at a time.  You just need to
figure out what combination of sensors will still give you the information you need.

Does that help?

Steve