 Robotics / RCX / 2821
2820  |  2822
Subject:
RIS Installer Problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2006 03:41:19 GMT

I would appreciate any help - I'm not sure this is the best place to post this
but I need to get in touch with software-experienced people and this looks like
a good start.  If I should post this elsewhere, please let me know.  If anyone
has some answers to our problem, or can suggest a software intensive site to
look for further help, I would greatly appreciate it.

I've got a Mindstorms Expansion Pack software installer problem and would
appreciate any help. We installed RIS 2.0 on our Windows XP - Service Pack 2
computer with no problem. It worked fine, and I later downloaded the patch from
the Lego website to prevent the RIS screen from always displaying after the
computer starts up. Everything works fine.

Now I want to install two older expansion sets - Robo Sports and Extreme
Creatures. I knew that patches were needed, and looked up the Mindstorms site
and found the instructions to use the patches on the RIS 2.0 disk.

However, the installers from the expansion packs don't function on my PC. When
you selelct "install", the program runs (according to the Task Manager) but
nothing happens - no display, nothing. You can hear the CD spin up for a while,
then nothing else happens. I get similar results when running either of the two
patch installers on the RIS 2.0 disk.

I tried these installers on my old WIndows 98 system and they work;
unfortunately it probably isn't possible to install on one system and move all
the necessary files and Registry entries to another system. I then ran the
installers on the XP system in the Compatibility mode with 256 colors and lower
resolution - same results - nothing.

I'm thinking that maybe the XP patch for RIS set something in the registry that
not only disables the autorun of the RIS splash screen, but also keeps these
other installers from working. I don't know. Has anyone else had this problem?

I searched with Google and couldn't find any help, but since Lego publishes and
distributes these patches I imagine they work for most users - someone else must
have experienced this problem.

Suggestions or fixes would be appreciated.