 Robotics / RCX / 2716
Re: Extending IR communications
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sat, 6 Aug 2005 08:07:19 GMT

In terms of power requirements and battery life, has anyone here
actually quantified how much of a difference that makes? Its a damn
good idea - as long as you have white, and relatively flat ceilings.

If you dont want/are not able to reposition the RCX, you could combine
both good ideas, and use a mirror to direct the RCX beam at the
ceiling. Is there a lego mirror in system or fabuland? (This is for
those who want to remain all Lego)

Orion

On 8/5/05, Dick Swan <dickswan@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Orient both RCXs so that they are pointing towards the ceiling. Set the RCX
transmit power level to high (default is probably low power); there's
probably some Lejos function to do this -- all it requires is setting one
bit in an I/O register to 1. RCX signal will bounce off the ceiling. Verify
this will work before building RCXs into your model. This works in my office
with 10 foot ceilings

-----Original Message-----
From: news-gateway@lugnet.com [mailto:news-gateway@lugnet.com]On Behalf
Of Claude Baumann
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2005 1:45 AM
To: lugnet.robotics.rcx@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: Extending IR communications

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Christopher Dickinson wrote:
Greetings helpful companions.  Now that I've buttered you up, let's move • on...

I've built a robotic arm using my RCX 1.0 brick.  I'm controlling it via • my
computer with LeJOS (not important, I think).  What my issue arises is if • my arm
rotates, the IR face on the block is no longer facing the IR tower.  My • first
thought was to attach the IR tower to the back of the RCX, but I will run • into a
similar issue soon - if my arm rotates, the cord for the IR tower will • wrap
around the arm's base.

Have any of you out there come up with a solution to make the RCX system
completely wireless, or at least where my robotic arm could run without • wires
interfering or IR face dissapearing?  Some sort of wireless bridge between • the
tower and the computer, perhaps?

Thanks in advance.

-Christopher

Have you tried a mirror? Infrared light IS light !

--
http://orionrobots.co.uk - Build Robots

Online Castle Building RPG -
http://www.darkthrone.com/recruit.dt?uid=V30311I30328J30379X30379E30260X30277