 Robotics / RCX / 2658
Re: Real-world interfacing to RCX: LEDs and magnetic sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 16:17:19 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Dave Pyatt wrote:
   I would like to be able to drive one or two banks of 7-8 LEDs off of the motor ports on the RCX. I know that there is a winker board that senses the motor level to determine what pattern to display. Can this be accomplished otherwise? I also want to use a magnetic sensor to calculate the RPM of a motor... can the RCX respond quick enough to sense 5000-10000+ switch closures per minute?

Thanks! Dave Pyatt dcpyatt@jclay.com

The motor outputs give a square wave of 1/8 up to 8/8 of a cycle. You can use a counter running at 8x the cycle frequency to measure how many eighths the output is giving, and light an LED accordingly.

For the magnetic sensor, I suggest converting the pulse frequency into a level so that the analogue input can read it. For this I suggest a capacitor (10-470uF) with the magnetic switch providing charge pulses from the supply through a small resistor and a larger fixed resistor in parallel with the capacitor discharging it at a fixed rate. Then use an LM358 or LM324 op-amp to buffer the capacitor voltage onto the sensor input, like this: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1067044

Experiment with fixed resistor values to get a discharge rate proportional to the maximum pulse frequency you want to measure. Bear in mind that a capacitor discharge won’t be linear, but it’s a simpler system than generating a perfect sawtooth wave.

Mark