 Robotics / RCX / 2614
Re: What that displayed on my RCX2.0?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 00:07:49 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Ian Reid wrote:
G'day,
I have been using my RCX 2.0 brick recently after it has been laying idle for a
period.  I have noticed that there is an extra icon in the display window which
is not discussed in the Lego Robotics Invention System 2.0 Constructopedia.  I
was hoping someone could explain what it means.

Next to the program number I can see a flashing quarter of a circle.  The
quarter flashes afer I press the on button and continues to flash which ever
program I have running.

I have used BrixCC in the past however, I using the lego supplied programming
tool at present.  The Lego Firmware is loaded in my RCX.

Grateful for any advice.
Regards
Ian Reid

This is just the datalog display. It indicates, in 25% increments, how full the
datalog is.

This indicator is totally harmless, and can be ignored. If you want to get rid
of it just download and run the following program:

task main()
  {
  CreateDatalog(0);
  }

Of course if you run whatever program it is that created the datalog in the
first place, you'll probably see the indicator appearing again.

Frankly, it's a very useful debugging feature to have; if you've never used it,
you should look into it. Try creating a datalog with a hundred or so entries,
and then use the command "AddToDatalog(X);" where 'X' is a sensor (such as
SENSOR_1), or a variable that you've declared somewhere. When your program
finishes running, you can download the datalog to your PC where you can see what
the variables and their values were when you added them to the datalog while
your program was running. You can see how sensors react to light changes, or
whatever else you're interested in. I prefer to use BricxCC, which has a
fantastic datalog analysis feature. (It's the "graph" button on the toolbar).
You can not only view the results, but graph them. And you can use this to set a
datalog size of zero as well, if you wish. No program required then.

--
  David Schilling