 Robotics / RCX / 2534
Re: Piggybacking sensors, but in a different way
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:51:49 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Jon Gilchrist wrote:
Is it possible to piggyback 1 sensor onto two rcx's?

Would both rcx's be able to read the sensor?  Would this potentially
damage the inputs?

While you may be able to connect a touch sensor (passive) to two RCXs, I doubt
that would work with a light sensor (any active sensor).

Mainly, because one of them must be set to power the sensor.  Normally, when the
sensor is read by an RCX, it drops power, reads the sensor, the turns power on
again.

The second RCX would (most likely) read the sensor while it's being powered by
the first RCX, so the reading would not be valid.

As for motors, it's very possible you would not be able to drive it one
direction, because of the grounds being connected.  I'm not really sure about
that.

Finally, you're using up (very precious) inputs & outputs.

I wouldn't do it.  Maybe you should brush up on tasks.

Steve