 Robotics / RCX / 2533
2532  |  2534
Subject:
Piggybacking sensors, but in a different way
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:44:17 GMT

Is it possible to piggyback 1 sensor onto two rcx's?  For instance,
have one light sensor connected to port 1 of two different rcx's at
the same time.  The purpose would be for one rcx to control chassis
movement, and another to control manipulator movement.  So the robot
moves forward until the sensor finds a dark spot, then the robot
changes direction while the manipulator does it's thing.

Would both rcx's be able to read the sensor?  Would this potentially
damage the inputs?

As a corollary, could you do something similar with outputs, having
two rcx's send output signals to the same motor?

I'm mostly concerned about rcx damage and getting a good signal back
from the sensor, so I hesitate to just try it and risk frying my rcx.

I know that you can make the rcx's communicate via IR, but that is not
as flexible as piggybacking sensors would be.

Thanks,

-Jon