 Robotics / RCX / 2501
  Add motor driver to RCX

Have anyone tried to add an external motordriver to the RCX ports, so you can use the powerful 3Amp motors from the 8366 RC car on the RCX? (20 years ago, 26-Jul-04, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Add motor driver to RCX

(...) I'm working on a scheme to do that sort of thing. I propose to use opto-couplers with their LEDs in reverse parallel, connected to the RCX output, and their transistors driving a power H-bridge powered from a separate supply. I can't see any (...) (20 years ago, 31-Jul-04, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Add motor driver to RCX

(...) Good idea. It will be difficult, though, to determine the differnce between braked and floating motor setting, or am I wrong? Or maybe one should measure the resistance on the RCX terminal, when no voltage is put out. I thought of invading the (...) (20 years ago, 1-Aug-04, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Add motor driver to RCX

(...) Yes, I suggest making an inertia circuit for use with trains, but for cars something else might be better. In RCX float or braked modes the power H-bridge flywheel diodes will brake the motor, but in high power applications, how often is float (...) (20 years ago, 1-Aug-04, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Add motor driver to RCX

(...) What does this mean in electrical novice terms? What is an auto-coupler? Is it possible to modify the reciever/power unit to interface with the RCX? ie maybe add an inferred recuever to interpret commands from the rcx to power the motors (...) (20 years ago, 5-Aug-04, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Add motor driver to RCX

(...) John Barnes (HiTechnic) has available a motor amplifier which draws it's power from an external source, and can control 4 motors from 1 RCX ouptut. I haven't tried one, but you might find it helpful: (URL) (20 years ago, 5-Aug-04, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Add motor driver to RCX

(...) 1) I'm not sure these are currently available 2) They only give you independent control of two motors per RCX output (but you can connect motors together) 3) They won't work with the 8366 motors (they were designed before those were available) (20 years ago, 5-Aug-04, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Add motor driver to RCX

(...) The amplifiers definitely won't work. I am bringing a demo 'bot to BrickFest which uses the buggy motors with an RCX. The RCX actually drives regular technic gear motors which drive a cam shaft which operates the buttons on the 9v (6 x AA) (...) (20 years ago, 5-Aug-04, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Add motor driver to RCX

(...) I've drawn a circuit to control more powerful motors (sadly in Visio format at the moment, though I my convert to jpeg later to post it). Since the H-bridges have flywheel diodes across the transistors, this will short the motor when the (...) (20 years ago, 5-Aug-04, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)