 Robotics / RCX / 2498
Re: Sensor inputs of RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:32:55 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Andreas Jurk wrote:
Hi,

I'm interested in the electronical function of the three sensor inputs of the
RCX.
I took an osilloscope and measured the voltage of the ports. So I got to know
that a rectangular signal is put on the sensor ports when they are activated by
software.
Is this signal created by an extern generator or somehow by the H8
microcontroler?

Hi Andreas,
  Sensor inputs can be configured two ways:
    1.  Passive - sensor does not need power to operate
    2.  Active - sensor needs power to operate

  Active sensor ports put out aproximately 7V most of the time, and drop the
voltage (every 3ms?) to take sensor readings.

  Passive sensors only put out 5V.

  The frequencey of the operations is controlled by the H8.

Kevin

Andreas