 Robotics / RCX / 2491
Re: Light Sensor question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 19:46:57 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Sam Kabra wrote:
I'm new to mindstorms so I have a simple question. At work, we're trying to
measure the light tightness of rings. Basically this involves observing how much
light passes through the outside edge of a ring. Is there any way a mindstorm
light sensor or vision command can do this for us?

Sam,

  By default programming when you configure a sensor input to be a light sensor,
it gives you back readings in the 0-100 range (i.e. percentage of the maximum
possible reading).  To get better resolution (which I expect you might want),
you could consider setting up the sensor input as a raw input.  Raw inputs have
a minimum reading of 0, and a maximum reading of 1023.  Raw sensor readings can
give at most about 10 times the reading resolution as non-raw light sensor
readings.

I think that raw light sensor readings are smaller for more light, and larger
for less. I'd guess this is correct because of the way photo-ransistors work.
I'd also expect that you can get a reading of 1023 if the sensor is in complete
dark, but that you can never get a reading of zero.

Kevin