 Robotics / RCX / 2482
Re: Communication Speed, PC -> RCX, LEJOS!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 17:46:33 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Joseph Woolley wrote:
   From the picture (d1p31) it looks as though all 4 RCXs can see the tower. I don’t know anything about pcrcxcomm.jar or rcxf7port; and not much about lejos, however, if all 4 RCXs try to respond to the tower, you will have collisions.

Try covering 3 of the RCXs so they cannot see the tower.

I am fairly sure you could use BrickOS with LNP in addressing mode; such that each RCX has its own host address and the PC sends a message to the appropriate RCX via the host address (and port number).

... now back to looking at the pictures ...

// Joe http://www.calledtoconstruct.net

Gaasedal wrote:

   Hi everyone,

Im working on a project with controlling a large Container Crane by 4 RCXs. I have implementet some controlling and a lot of functions in the model, including a userinterface made in Java for a laptop. The crane is controlled by a Joystick through the PC.

My problem is the communication speed from the PC to RCX, it takes about 0.5 sec before the IR tower sends the message (1 byte) to the RCX. I use the lejos software and the pcrcxcomm.jar and I use the RCXF7PORT for communication.

Are there any other method I can use which do not includes 0.5 waiting time, or do you know how to get around the problem?

Please visit my homepage to see the project, I have put a lot of pictures in there. http://www.gaasedal.dk

Thank you for your help.

Best regards

Anders Gaasedal

LEGO Mobile Cranes

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your fast reply, you are right, alle the 4 RCXs can see the tower, but I dont think thats the problem, since the problem also is present when only one RCX is turned on, or the other 3 are removed from the place.

I only communicate one way, and communication seems to work fine. I can see the little green LED in the IR-tower (USB) turns on app. 0.5 sec after I move the joystick, or command by keyboard.

But maybe I should try BrickOS, and see if it works better, maybe the communication is different. Thank you for your advise.

Compliments to your site, great models

Best regards

Anders