 Robotics / RCX / 2431
Re: RCX firmware download
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 04:06:05 GMT

In article <HwpKB8.6sx@lugnet.com>,
"Albert J Brewer" <ajbrewer2@cantv.net> wrote:

Hi,
Wonder if I can get some help in this forum, hope so ;)
I've been trying to download the firmware (standard) to a RCX. After I turn
it
on, the cone signal blinks, and it accepts communication with the IR tower.
Then
it starts downloading and in the LCD shows some numbers until it reaches 20,
then it goes back to the starting display and I get a message in the host
computer display the message that the rcx is giving bad communication or it
is
out of reach.
I am using MacNQC, a powerbook with panther, and an usb ir tower.
Can someone give me hint to solve this issue?

Albert J. Brewer

It sounds like firmware download is aborting when trying to shift from
normal to fast speed.  Fast firmware download with the USB tower has
always been a bit touchy.  Make sure you have the most recent version of
MacNQC, since there was a fix a while back to put the USB tower into
short range mode prior to fast firmware download.

Try different distances between the tower and the RCX.  I don't recall
the preferences for MacNQC, but perhaps it can disable fast firmware
download and just send the firmware at regular speed (which is more
reliable).

If you can't get MacNQC to work, try using the command line version of
NQC instead.  I'm not sure what's available at the sourceforge site, but
you can download 2.5r3 from my old site at
http://www.baumfamily.org/nqc_old/release/index.html

Dave