 Robotics / RCX / 2263
Re: Cubesolver with USB Tower?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 15:58:22 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Peter de Grave wrote:
Hi,

has anyone tried to make JP Brown's Cubesolver
(http://jpbrown.i8.com/cubesolver.html) compatible with the USB Tower?

I saw on http://members.cox.net/pbrick-alpha/Phantom.htm there is a replacement
for spirit.ocx (used for the serial tower), called phantom, and on that website
it says "...delete the Spirit.ocx control from the VB form, add the Phantom
control in its place, give the control the same name as the deleted Spirit.ocx
control, and Run..." It sure sounds easy, but my knowledge of Visual Basic isn't
that big (I know how to compile a program, but that's about it), and the
cubesolver-program looks quite complicated to me....

It's been awhile since I've used VB to do anything, but these instructions look
like they will work.  To add a bit more detail:

1.  Download the Phantom OCX and install it on your system.  I don't know if
Phantom registers itself on your computer, so you might need to Run something
like the following command:  "regsvr32 c:\path\to\phantom\Phantom.ocx"  The
regsvr32 program should be in your Windows directory, although it may or may not
be located elsewhere.  (If you can't find regsvr32, send me an e-mail and I'll
send you a copy.)
2.  Start VB and open the Cube Solver project
3.  Locate the LEGO icon that should be visible on one of the forms in the
project.  This icon represents the Spirit.ocx control provided by LEGO.  The
logo may not appear if you do not have Spirit.ocx installed, but look for a
control probably called "Spirit1" somewhere in the project.  Then delete this
object from the project.
4.  Customize your VB Toolbar (right+click in the control palette toolbar) and
add the Phantom control to the environment.  A new icon should appear on one of
the VB toolbars to represent this new control.
5.  Select the form which previously contained Spirit.ocx and insert a copy of
the Phantom control.  Then change the name of the control to "Spirit1" or
whatever the original name was.  The name can be changed by editing the Name
property of the control, visible in the Property Browser list that is normally
located in the lower right corner of the VB environment.
6.  Build and run your program.  Any VB statements that formerly operated on the
Spirit control will automatically operate on the new Phantom control, since it
has the same name and functional interface as the original.

Again, I have not used VB in quite awhile, have not used Phantom.ocx, and have
not examined the Cube Solver project, so I could be totally off base with these
instructions.  I hope this helps rather than adding to your confusion.

- Chris.